Waves breaking over rocks on the Lake Huron shoreline at sunrise.
Continuing my recent theme of photos taken with a long telephoto. In this case I used it to isolate the most interesting group of rocks and then used a slow shutter speed to blur the waves a little. A photo from over a decade ago, the water level in Lake Huron is currently quite a bit higher. I suspect most of these rocks are now under water.
Egg laying again but insects rather then birds this time. A female Banded Demoselle egg laying watched by a male in the background. One from the archives taken in Cheshire, England in the mid 1990s.
In a strange way a follow-up to my Saskatchewan’s Provincial Flower post. You may wonder what the connection is between Damselflies and a Prairie Lily, it’s the lens used. I didn’t use a macro/close up lens for this shot, I used my long telephoto normally used for birds and wildlife. The reason being is that the Damselflies are in the middle of the water inlet of a reservoir a couple of metres from the bank. I set the tripod as low as it would go, mounted the telephoto and then started trying different combinations of teleconverters and extension tubes until I found a mix that gave me the magnification needed.
Having posted a photo of White Trilliums, Ontario’s Provincial Flower I thought a photo of Saskatchewan’s Provincial Flower would make an follow up post of sorts.
The Prairie Lily is found over a quite large section of North America and isn’t limited to prairie habitat. Interestingly, as the Provincial Flower of Saskatchewan it cannot be picked, uprooted or destroyed in any manner in the province.
I found a group of three or four growing in a ditch on a quiet back road. Rather than walk up to the flower with a close up lens I set up my long telephoto on a tripod. That helped isolate the flower from cluttered surroundings and avoided trampling other plants in the ditch.
Having been posting photos of birds in Ontario recently I thought it was time I posted something from Saskatchewan.
Now that summer has arrived here’s a photo of a Willet in breeding plumage wandering around a marsh looking for something to eat. Taken from a vehicle window using a bean bag to rest the lens on.
A Mourning Dove feeding in the grass.
One of the first photos from last Sunday morning. Taken before I raised my ground pod a couple of inches. I also moved back a bit once I realised how tight in the frame the birds, squirrels and chipmunks were going to be.
I do know what species of Wren this is but as it’s Throwback Thursday it gives me an opportunity to illustrate a problem captioning certain photos.
The photo was taken in Cheshire, England in the 1980s. In those days most British field guides gave the common English name as Wren. A few would call it a Winter Wren as it was classified as the same species as the North American Winter Wren.
However, over the past couple of decades scientists have been DNA testing lots of species which has resulted in quite a few being reclassified. What was a Wren or Winter Wren in Britain is now a separate species, the Eurasian Wren. The North American Winter Wren has been split into two species. It’s still the Winter Wren in central and eastern North America but the birds down the west coast are now called the Pacific Wren.
To make matters even more complicated the splitting of the various species means new scientific names for some. As my standard photo caption includes both the common English name and the scientific name it means that quite a high percentage of the birds I have on film now have inaccurate captions written on the slide mounts.
So to the photo. It shows an adult Eurasian Wren emerging from a nestbox. An unusual nest site for the species which normally prefers to build a nest hidden in vegetation.
Sunday morning saw me lying in the yard behind the camera. I had set up my ground pod to try for some shots of the Squirrels, Chipmunks and whatever bird species decided to feed on the ground. I was expecting Common Grackles, Blue Jays and other larger species. I wanted to get as close as possible to eye level with the subjects.
A few weeks ago I got a low profile ball head for the ground pod. It would allow the lens to be about 3/4 inch lower than the ball head I had been using. Coupled with a couple of other changes I could now get the lens more than an inch lower to the ground.
So my initial set up was as low to the ground as possible. I then remembered a lesson learned in the 1980s. You can get to low, it’s hard to see through the viewfinder and you can’t see smaller species for vegetation sometimes.
So I swapped the 3/4 inch bolts that act as legs on the ground pod for the 3 inch bolts. This allowed me to see the juvenile Pine Siskin as it fed in the grass.