Categories
Lens-Artists

Before and After

This is my contribution to Tina’s Lens-Artists Photo Challenge: From Forgettable to Favourite prompt.

Initially I struggled to come up with an idea for this challenge. I ended up scrolling through some of the folders of photos on this tablet looking for inspiration. At that point I quickly came up with a couple of photos showing before and after.

Lens-Artists: Before and After

The full frame, unedited version of the European Robin standing on my 600mm lens. The camera isn’t square or centred in the frame and has tape on it. There’s also a light band running at an angle across the top of the frame.

Lens-Artists: Before and After

The edited version. I squared and centred the camera, cropped the top of the frame and took a little off the bottom. I then converted the camera to monochrome to hide the tape as much as possible. I have been using a variety of edited versions of this image as my online avatar for years.

Lens-Artists: Before and After

An old post box in a sandstone wall at Bickerton Hill in southern Cheshire, England. A film shot from the mid 1980s. I have scanned the original with two different scanners and copied the slide with two different cameras. All the digital versions have a strange colour balance. If I get the grass and red post box looking right the sandstone and sky look wrong.

One Word Sunday: Homophone

A selective colour treatment converting the image to monochrome while leaving the post box red.

13 replies on “Before and After”

Kudos on both images David. I didn’t notice the tape in the original and had to go back and look for it after your edit but there, indeed, it was. Did that bird REALLY land on your camera and if so, what did you shoot it with??? Also really liked the selective color version of the old post box – the perfect solution on that one.

Thanks Tina. I had buried a metal dish in the dirt and filled it with gravel as a natural looking bird bath. I had my 300mm lens set up on the bird bath and my 600mm set up for anything further away. The European Robin first landed on the 300mm so I moved the 600mm closer to the bird bath for the birds to use as a perch on their way to it. Rather amusingly, while all this was going on I grabbed three shots of a pair of House Sparrows mating. One of the House Sparrows mating shots was published in BBC Wildlife magazine. The Robin on the lens never earned me a penny.

Thanks Graham. I don’t normally do much editing having been taught to get it right in camera when I was a student. I was happy to find a couple of images suitable for the challenge.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s