CFFC: Gardens.

This is my contribution to Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Gardens.

A selection of nature subjects taken in a variety of gardens over the years.

A Redwing eating a Holly berry photographed in a Cheshire, England garden in the mid 1980s.

A Redwing in a Holly tree.

 

Orange Day-Lily photographed in an Ontario, Canada garden a couple of years ago.

Weekly Prompts Photo Challenge: Bloom.

 

An Eastern Chipmunk photographed in a garden in Ontario, Canada a decade or so ago.

An Eastern Chipmunk posing for a photo.

 

Borage flower buds photographed in Cheshire, England garden in the mid 1990s.

Borage plant.

 

A leucistic juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker photographed in a Cheshire, England garden in the late 1980s.

Leucistic Woodpecker on a suet feeder.

 

A Coneflower photographed in an Ontario, Canada garden a year or two ago.

Echinacea or Coneflower.

Weekly Prompts Photo Challenge: Edit.

This is my contribution to the Weekly Prompts Photo Challenge: Edit.

Normally I try to do minimal editing. What I mean by minimal editing is that I will tweak the colour balance, saturation and/or contrast if needed. These edits are done on a desktop computer not connected to the Wi-Fi. The edits are then shared with my tablet that I use for everything online.

What then sometimes happens is that I will decided to use one of the lightly edited shots in a blog post and end up re-editing using Snapseed on the tablet and then often adding a border to the photo.

Another time I edit on the tablet is doing monochrome conversions when a post calls for a monochrome image. 

Desktop edit.

Piles and ripples at sunrise.

After re-editing with Snapseed.

Wooden pilings sticking out of Colpoy's Bay.

Colour original.

Olympus E-410.

Monochrome conversion using Snapseed.

Getting down to eye level.

Desktop  edit.

Coneflower blooms.

After re-editing with Snapseed.

Echinacea or Coneflower

A Photo a Week Challenge: Flower.

I have recently been experimenting with adapting various lenses to a mirrorless camera. This isn’t the first time I have tested old film camera lenses on a modern digital camera. Six years ago I tested a Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 lens that I have owned since the late 1970s. It was used when I got it so I don’t know how old it actually is and it’s now so worn that it feels like it could fall apart each time I use it.

This is my contribution to the A Photo a Week Challenge: Flower. An Echinacea (Coneflower) flower photographed with the old Vivitar 35mm lens. I rather like the way the lens renders the out of focus flowers in the background.

Echinacea flower.

For comparison, a Coneflower photographed with a modern 50mm macro lens a couple of years ago.

Echinacea or Coneflower.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #42 – Creativity.

The new Lens-Artists Photo Challenge is Creativity.

This gave me the opportunity do varying degrees of editing to a selection of shots.

First a photo of an Orange Day-Lily photographed on the South Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada.

Group of Orange Daylily.

After that I did some work on a shot of the Lake Huron shoreline at sunrise with Chantry Island on the horizon. Taken from Dominion Lookout at the bottom of High Street, Southampton, Ontario, Canada.

Lake Huron shoreline at sunrise.

Some moderate editing on a photo of a group of Coneflowers on the South Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada.

Echinacea or Coneflower

Finally, a heavily edited sunrise over Colpoy’s Bay with the Niagara Escarpment on the horizon.

Moody sunrise.

Coneflower.

A Coneflower, also known as Echinacea. A rather attractive flower that I overlooked in the past.

Taken 5 years ago with a (relatively) modern digital camera and a vintage lens. The lens is a Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 that I picked up used when I was a photography student in the late 1970s. Eventually I replaced it with a much smaller and lighter f/2.8 model.

The Vivitar 35mm didn’t get retired for a few more years. It was the lens I attached to the nest boxes I used to document the nesting cycle of various species in the mid and late 1980s. It was retired after that although I kept it around for a couple of reasons. Firstly as a backup should anything nasty happen to my f/2.8 model. Secondly, having purchased it used and with the rubber grip on the focusing ring having disappeared it wasn’t worth very much.

Five or six years ago I rounded up all my manual focus lenses from the film era to try them on a digital camera. I rather liked the way the ancient Vivitar renders backgrounds (sometimes, other times the backgrounds can be quite ugly) so it found a place in my manual focus prime lens kit. When I’m feeling particularly retro I leave the modern zoom lenses at home and take a small bag containing three or four manual focus prime lenses. Basically going back to the way I shot film as a student.

Echinacea flower.